Sunday, August 18, 2013

Really Cool Historical Items: My Life in 10 Seconds


There are some things besides my diaries that I've kept since third grade that I would save in a fire or earthquake.  Without saying, my kids' baby books would be top on the list.  Here are some other things that I hold dear to my heart. 


My grandfather's schoolbook circa 1910.  He had to learn English as his native language was Czech.  Note the Czech-English translations and the stamps (Austrian Empire) that he kept inside the front cover. 



A signed copy of Eleanor Roosevelt's book "If You Ask Me" circa 1946 sits proudly on my bookshelf.  Love her. 

My paternal grandmother's krumkake iron.  Krumkake is a Scandinavian cookie NEVER to be confused with lutefisk.  

1946 Wirlitzer Jukebox:  This model came out the first year they came back into production after WWII.  This beauty was rescued by my late father-in-law in the 1960's when he worked for a vending company in San Rafael.  The newer, better, more modern jukeboxes that played 45's as opposed to this old one that played 78's were all the rage.  He was told to take this old thing out and smash it.  He thought it was pretty and saved it.  It sat in storage in a barn in Sonoma for decades.  And yes, I have the:   Andrews Sisters, Bing Crosby, Elvis, The Coasters, Carl Perkins, Sam Cooke, Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, Hank Williams all on 78's. 

Wahpeton Sioux artifacts:  The native American Wahpeton Sioux occupied western Minnesota and eastern Dakota.  My uncle has a collection of their artifacts.  I am fortunate enough to have a few of them.  The red heart is a symbol of eternal, unconditional friendship. 
Confederate Paper Money:  This is a 'google image rip-off' and and not an actual photo of something in my possession.  However, I remember being fascinated by my father's Confederate paper money as a child.  I think he still has it somewhere.  I hope he does...and that it did not disappear during one of the huge parties I threw as a teenager (sorry dad).  

No comments: