Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Keys to the Kingdom

I guess my 25+ years of putting up with bullshit and hard work is finally paying off.  Everybody in my industry is either retiring or dying.  Because my industry niche is so small and specialized, bringing in a newbie out of college just does not happen.  In fact, seldom do outsiders ever even break into my industry niche.  I was the lucky exception.  Once in, it takes 15 years just to figure out what the hell is going on with all the politics and dynamics.  Many marriages don't even make it that far. 

I'm the only obvious choice to carry things forward by default.  My job is not something that is posted in the paper or at college career fairs.  My job is not something that parents push their kids into.  Parents don't even know my job exists.  There is no major in college that even comes close to what I do. 

While I'm flattered that I'm about to inherit something so significant, I'm also concerned about the responsibilities attached.  The welfare of thousands rests upon the decisions I will make. 

Mixed blessing. 




No comments: