Sunday, August 4, 2013

No Smoking Area: No Facebook Area


Facebook users need to learn the same etiquette smokers have had to learn to use.  There was a time when smoking was allowed just about everywhere and nobody objected to breathing second hand smoke.  Now the potential dangers of smoke are more understood.  Plus, nobody likes to reek of ashtrays.  Thankfully, those days prolific smoking are long gone.  Smokers have learned to curb their habit to where it will not cause discomfort to others. 

Facebook users take note.  When social media was in its infancy people did not quite understand the consequences of having personal information blasted into cyberspace.  It's not only your own personal information, it's the personal information of friends, family, etc. users "tag" at events.   Now people are getting the hint that there is a huge database they can't erase despite benign intentions. 

Which brings me to a personal dilemma.  I'm planning a party in the near future.  I want to make it a Facebook free zone.  I know it's rude to instruct guests of manners, but I'm wondering how I can get the message out that I don't want ANY references posted to Facebook AT ALL.  There are certain guests who will be here that I love dearly, but their constant posting of everything they are doing makes me uneasy.    Do I say in the invitation, "Please do not use social media at my home?"  Do I post a sign at the door?  I don't want to be rude to my guests, but I like my privacy.  I don't want the world knowing I'm hosting a party, who all was there, and what we were doing. 

And.... for what it's worth.... I don't use social media nor email to send invitations.  They go out snail mail. 

No comments: