Wednesday, March 26, 2008

New Orleans


These pictures were taken today after the meeting commenced. The top one is a typical street view of the French Quarter during the daytime. Night time here is pretty seedy. It's seedy during the day as well, but at night there is a seedy edginess to it that walking around off the main areas just isn't recommended. I think I would rather wander the streets of Oakland than New Orleans.

The bottom picture is that of a Dixie Jazz ensemble that played for us during our dinner at the famous K-Paul's. The pictures are not of good quality, as they were taken from my cell phone.

My hotel room overlooks Bourbon Street, and it's extremely noisy. There is a live band playing loudly almost round the clock. When the live band isn't playing, there is kareoke. It's amusing hearing whiter than white, intoxicated people who truly believe they sound like Aretha Franklin singing "Respect."

I find it ironic that New Orleans is probably the most corrupt city in the United States -- and they're proud of it. However, at the beginning of our meeting today, people here in the Bible Belt begin the meeting agenda with "prayers" on doing "God's Work." I guess it's ok to be a cheating, manipulative liar if you pray. Now I know where Bush gets it.

No comments: