Monday, March 10, 2008

Mutton Dressed as Lamb


I had never heard this saying until I visited a dear friend in England. I can't remember the exact context in which the saying surfaced, but to this day, it's one of my favorites. There is no American translation that I can specifically point to that illustrates why this phrase is so cutting and direct. It just hits cunningly on so many different levels;)

Here's a sad attempt to try to translate this brilliant phrase from English to American: Everytime I see a 40'ish (or older) woman sporting her bare midriff, mini skirt, silicone boobs, lip injections, suntan, and the botox freeze-face that is so pervasive here in California, I think to myself, "Mutton dressed as lamb."

Everytime I see Nicolette Sheridan on television I think to myself, "Mutton dressed as lamb." click on photo to enlarge (no... don't! eeeeeeeeeek)

...the next phrase I'll translate from English to American will be "All fur coat and no knickers."

1 comment:

CG said...

LOL it's so wonderfully descriptive isn't it??