Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Metric System

They tried to teach us the metric system back in 1970's when I was in elementary school. I was thrilled because everything was based on 10's and made SENSE. I still remember my 2nd grade teacher holding up a book titled, "Meters, Liters, and Grams."

The English system of measurement: Inches, ounces, fractions, feet, yards, gallons, pints, quarts, miles, whatever, did not have logically based computations in my world. Then one day, the metric system instruction ceased suddenly because some Americans were freaked about about a loss of national identity. I was too young to know what was going on.

Well, if the English ditched their own units of measurement system, you know it's a confusing piece of crap. I don't know why we Americans hang onto it.

1 comment:

CG said...

We are a confused nation. We still talk about the price of petrol in gallons and our milk comes in pints. I am trying to make myself cook in metric!!