Monday, January 18, 2016

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Many of you have today off.  Do you even know why?  Kind of like Veterans' Day or Memorial Day, Labor Day or even Presidents' Day...and I even dare now throw in Christmas Day.

The main purpose in recognizing the above holidays was to pay homage to the person(s) and/or event that significantly impacted history and your way of life whether you agree with the politics involved or not.

With that being said I work with a bunch of crusty, old white men.  They are not politically correct AT ALL.  I bet they are all voting for Trump.  Anyway, at a joint employer/employee meeting sometime ago the employees were lobbying to have Martin Luther King Day a recognized holiday in our industry.  Of course, the crustiest oldest white man in my group scoffed at the request and answered, "Why don't you shoot four more niggers and you all can have the entire week off for all I care."

Yup.  That's the world I live in.  No wonder I'm so cynical and jaded.

No comments: