Friday, January 29, 2016

Headache

Quiet Rage has a headache today on all levels.  Seriously, my head is pounding and I have to deal with employers and employees who just don't get it.

Yesterday was a 16 hour day in approving the 2016 budget for one of the organizations I manage.  The organization is bleeding cash to the tune of about $100,000 per year.  The economics impacting the organization's revenue and losses will not improve unless draconian measures are implemented.  I saw it coming and offered one of two scenarios:  continue to party like it's your last night on earth, or have the organization around long-term sans the royal travel treatment they have all enjoyed the past 5 years.

It was a silent joy for me to sit back in my chair at the head of the table and have them looking at each other.  I could read their minds.  They were eyeing each other telepathically stating, "Which one of you greedy bastards is taking too many exotic business trips flying first class with the spouse and bleeding the organization of operational funds?"

See, the way the organization runs not all contribute equally monetarily.  Contributions coming in are based on a sliding scale or a percentage if you will.  What we have going on are those who are contributing a little and taking out a lot.  The irony is that the ones who contribute the most take the least.  It's the ones who contribute little taking a lot.   

My compensation for managing them is set  and is beyond reasonable.  It's not because of me they are bleeding cash.  Plus, I have the history and the knowledge at this point where there is NO WAY they could replace me without busting out more funds which detracts from their 'fun'.

I've got a winning hand here.  They won't want to bankrupt the organization; therefore killing the goose that lays the golden egg, and they also don't want to lose me.  That means for the next few years until the organization reserves more operating cash I get to go on all the fun trips and not babysit them and be their travel agent/cruise director   :)   :)   :) 

By the time the cash is replenished I've got other plans that do not include catering to greedy, selfish takers.

No comments: