Thursday, June 18, 2015

Drunken Birds

No, that's not a typo.  I'm referring to drunken birds and not Angry Birds (the infamous app).  Well, I suppose some birds get angry when inebriated just like some drunk people do but I'm getting off track.

I have fruit trees on my property.  One of my favorites is my plum tree that produces gorgeous amounts of fruit.  I usually make preserves out of them in June.  The problem the last couple of years is that birds and other critters have discovered my plum tree and now it's the neighborhood food source/bar.  I have the party hot spot for those with feathers and fur. 

What happens is that the birds eat the fermented plums and they get drunk.  I have had birds fly and crash into my windows.  They usually hit the deck, stay there a few minutes stunned and dazed, and then fly away. 

I can't ID the birds, send them to rehab, or place other restrictions on them.  I just have to pick the plums faster than they can get to them.  It's not as easy as it sounds. 




No comments: