Friday, February 14, 2014

Coolest Album Covers of All Time

Oh yeah.... remember when album covers were considered a form of pop art?  Here is my personal compilation of album covers I have spent many hours staring at.
Boston:  More than a Feeling.  I believe this Boston album came out in 1976 (above photo).  Don't correct me if I'm wrong.  I think somebody creating the Boston album covers dropped acid and said, "Hey, I'll use every color in the spectrum to create  the coolest album covers of all time."

Allright.

Kansas:  Point of No Return.  Not even throwing all weight to the stern of the ship will reverse the inevitable.  They had some pretty deep songs that still bum me out to this day.  And yes, we are all 'dust in the wind' which is an all time favorite of mine -- especially when I feel the least bit cocky.  It grounds me immediately.  Leave it to the damn mid westerners to be an ego buzz kill LOL. 

Elton John:  Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy.  WTF?  I stared at this album cover for HOURS during an entire summer while painting my fingernails and toenails in the basement of my childhood home trying to comprehend the drowning death of a friend in Silver Lake. I could never make sense of the record player taking a crap.  I''m sure it has some deep, philosophical meaning that only art geeks get.  Whatever. 
Beatles:  Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.  I think is my all time favorite.  So many layers of political and social statements in one place without text.  Genius.  
Then my hormones started to kick in and I became obsessed with this album cover.  Peter Frampton Comes Alive!  I will leave room for all inappropriate comments alone. The simplicity of this cover is its asset.  xxoo
Fleetwood Mac:  Rumors.  Dangling balls?  I remember asking my older sister what that meant.  I think I still have the lump on my head from where she smacked me.  LOL. 
Aerosmith:  Toys in the Attic.  No, you're uncle isn't creepy..... he just wants to PLAY with you.  ewwwwwwwwwww. 
I remember when my friend, PMF, had such a crush on Michael that she wanted to marry him and have kids with him.  This album cover was stared at by millions of teen girls.  'nuff said.
Ok, maybe I'm weird but I think Alice Cooper gets sexier with age.  I also think he has functioning brain cells which would make him an interesting person to hold a conversation with -- at least according to the local radio station that broadcasts his evening show. 
What kind of a Minneapolis home-girl would I be without including Roger Nelson (yes, that's his real name.... boring and ordinary 4'10" Roger Nelson from North Minneapolis) a.k.a. Prince.  Yes, my favorite color is purple.  Don't wreck it for me. 
Hey, Hey We're the MONKEYS....  I had the total hots for Mickey Dolenz.  I knew all the other girls loved Davey Jones.  I just did not understand the Davey attraction.  Oh well, all the more Mickey for ME!














No comments: