Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Boz Scaggs

Tonight my friend "vanned" me.  She and few others showed up at my house stating that we were going to see Boz Scaggs at the Marin Civic Center.  Do not argue.  Just get in the van, sit down, and shut up. 

We got take out dinner from a place in San Rafael (which was a whole other story I will not go into here) and proceeded to the parking lot to eat, drink, and have some fun before the show. 

Once inside we found our way to our seats and settled in.  Wow.  So many memories went through my mind as so many of the songs were a throw back to the 1970's.  I was instantly transported to the days of the back seat of my parents yellow Dodge, which I shared with three other siblings, listening to KDWB AM 63.  I had no idea so many annoying songs that got stuck in my head 40 years ago could be resurrected to annoy me yet again -- but in a nostalgic, fond, yeah-i-remember-that-song kind of way.   I guess this Boz dude is really talented.  Lido.

The back up singer, Miss Monet/MoNAY (or however you spell it) stole the show.  She was a soulful kind of woman from Oakland and reminded me of Queen Latifa.  She could really belt it out.  The crowd at the Marin Civic Center was unmistakeably typically white Marin.  The woman next to me was so white she could not even clap her hands to the rhythm. 

It was about that time Miss Monet/MoNAY had the spotlight.  Most of us in the audience were standing up at that point -- even the rhythmically challenged Marin white woman next to me.  The singing was so soulful that I could not help but let my inner black chick out and just allowed my body to move with the music.  Once again, the comment was made....."You dance pretty good, for a white girl." 

All the other audience members looked like they had a stick inserted somewhere and stiffly clapped their hands like there were robots.  Maybe the Marin Civic Center should have a policy to remove sticks from @#* prior to entering. 

All in all it was a show well-done that was fun, but yet loaded with class and talent. 



No comments: