Saturday, February 8, 2014

Bye-Bye Mom Mobile

Over ten years ago I purchased the ultimate in 'bored moms on prozac' SUV's.  It seated 8.  It had a DVD player for the kids to watch movies in the back seat.  It had all the bells and whistles.  It had heated leather seats and all the hoopla I never even figured out how to utilize.

I drove it on field trips, soccer practice, neighborhood carpooling, etc.  It was driven to sport tournaments half way across the country, trips to Disneyland and you name it.  It endured food spills and barf.  It held car seats and strollers PLUS my Costco shopping.

Then the kids started to grow up and get their drivers license.  The mom mobile became a hand-me-down to one of my kids.  It was sooooooooo uncool for my kid to drive it around, but I had taken really good care of it and a free car is nothing to turn away from.

Well, now that it hit the over 10 year mark and high mileage it was time to say good bye.  It was traded in for something not even remotely close to a "mom" mobile.  As I was collecting personal belongings out of the middle consul I came across items from a bygone era such as movie tickets stubs, pink hair clips and ribbons, old parking permits, etc.  I never thought I would get emotional about a car, but there I was.... cleaning it out and crying.

When I was done I closed the door for the last time, gave it a pat, and thanked it for being such a good car.


No comments: