Sunday, September 8, 2013

LinkedIn vs. Facebook: Which is Creepier?

Which is creepier Facebook or LinkedIn?  I'm not exactly sure.  Both are self-inflicted invasions of privacy as people LOVE to post their inflated, embellished accomplishments, education, etc.,  along with pictures of themselves being the attention whores they are.  Whatever.

I've said this ad nauseum, but any social media is a hackers paradise.  NEVER post anything you don't want the entire world to see.  Awwwww... I just spoiled my own fun in watching you all step on your own dicks.  I didn't even have to hack anything, either.  My sharing this little tid bit will make me work a little harder, but your privacy settings (and your little friends, too) are only a nuisance that any junior hack can penetrate. 

I'm getting off track.  I get weird LinkedIn invites from people I'm not sure I know.  Some of them I don't even WANT to know, or would ever admit to knowing.  What creeps me out about LinkedIn is that it sends invitations from YOU to people without your knowledge or consent.  Some of the people are a mutual, mutual, mutual, whatever and you've never even met.  The thought of a software program scouring my mutual, mutual, mutual, (four times removed) community freaks me out. 

Still, in the end, what's the pitfall?  Is somebody going to steal my resume?  I guess it's the idea of some software program sending out invitations from me that I did not personally initiate. 

Again, it's some government sponsored program created for easily collecting information from the masses to track networks. You think I'm paranoid?  Just to be sure.... just tell me of ONE person you know of who has received a job because of LinkedIn.  Dead silence.  Thought so.  But you sure posted a GREAT pic of yourself complete with your life story.  The CIA, NSA, FBI and NGA thanks you for your voluntary cooperation. 




No comments: