Tuesday, September 17, 2013

D.C. Shootings: Gun Control?

A former Navy reservist open fired at the Navy Admin Headquarters in D.C. yesterday killing 12.  I'm sure you've all heard as it's plastered all over the media ad nauseum.  The timing and location hits uncomfortably close to home for Quiet Rage for reasons I can't disclose.  This attack hit me on a personal level. 

Although the motive has not yet been officially established, my guess is that the nut-case perpetrator has a string of being arrested and dismissed from jobs for being a dumb, volatile, violent asshole.  

I know.... let's make accessible an AR-15 assault rife, a shotgun, and a semi-automatic pistol to people on the psychiatric edge!!!!  What a GREAT idea!!!!  They can go into places of former employment and take out innocents!  So much for background checks. 

I'm going to start a campain:  Marajuana NOT guns.

If he had access to pot he may have been too mellow to even think about doing such a dastardly deed.  I don't know who even NEEDS an AR-15 assault rifle, anyway.  I can hear the NRA on my ass already for accusing me of giving away our constitutional right to bear arms.  I've got news for the NRA.  I agree for the right to 'bear arms' against our government.  The intent was to give means for protection for the population from an overly oppressive, controlling central government.  I completely agree with that.  However, the second amendment is outdated.  It was written in days where modern technology was not even in the wildest science fiction fantasies of our forefathers.  'Arms' has a totally new definition in the post 18th century.

In the age of artificial intelligence, drones, satellites, chemical warfare, bomber planes, atomic bombs, etc., waving an AR-15 assault rifle will not help you.  The fascinating question is just how do we protect ourselves from oppression and censorship via technology when we all depend on it?  The central government is unchecked monitoring our free speech and right to assemble by tagging trigger words spoken and typed over phones and internet activity without our consent.  We are being intercepted and squashed before we can even organize ourselves for protest. 

This is the evolved issue that the second amendment tried to address.  In honor of the United States Constitution that was adopted on this very day in 1787 in Philadelphia, I respectfully pose intent of the second amendment and its relevance in the modern world to the authors.  You will find me in a dark room with an Ouija board awaiting answers.  LOL.




No comments: