Saturday, September 7, 2013

Hottest Day: Canning Tomatoes

One law of nature that never seems to miss is that you can count on standing over a hot stove canning tomatoes on the hottest day of the year.  Mother Nature has a twisted sense of humor.  Better let Mother Nature have her fun with us, because she will eventually win each and every argument.  I learn from the best.

Home grown tomatoes have such a short shelf life as there are no chemicals or preservatives to prolong the canning process.  You have to get to the task immediately.  Sun drying some of the tomatoes is an option to help shorten the time over the hot stove canning. 

Yes, it's work but the payoff is huge.  My kids are so picky now that they refuse to eat any tomato based foods unless it's something from the garden.  The taste difference and quality is that noticeable.
Word is out that I'm the garden food preservation queen.  Neighbors and friends who have an over abundance from their trees and gardens drop bags of fruits and vegetables on my doorstep. 

...just now what to do with the bag of peaches...

Wait.  I could turn this into a hobby job.  Bring me all of your garden stuff and I will preserve it for you. 

No comments: