Monday, March 31, 2014

Efficient

My talent for this world is taking inefficiently run small businesses and streamlining them for accuracy and precision -- on the financial side.  I am a guru at organizing office operations. 

Five and 1/2 years ago one of the organizations I work with needed to fire the entire office staff for fraud and embezzlement.  They needed help, so I stepped (voluntarily) in and made rhyme and reason of it all and now it's running like a Swiss clock. 

It was a lot of work getting it to that point.  Just because I was not up in front of cameras shaking hands and putting my nose up some body's butt, my hard work went unnoticed.  It was taken for granted. 

Not that I mind being invisible, don't get me wrong, but what tipped me past the point of no return was when I asked the for a modest fee I was turned down.  I had already approached the chairman prior to a meeting telling him what I was going to ask for - he even confirmed it in an email.  However, when got in front of the board of trustees he did a 180 on me.  He did not stop there.  He went on to insult me that doing my work "was no big deal and that he could do it."

hmmmmmmmmm  I was seething for days.  I made the announcement that I was resigning from doing the books effective immediately.  Mr. Arrogant, surprised that I called him on his bluff, sent out a flowery email praising my hard work and dedication in a time of crisis for the organization and that he would take over the accounting (after he hired somebody, of course) hopefully soon.

Well, soon is here.  I'm passing him all the accounting stuff tonight smiling ear-to-ear as I give him the files on a flash drive. 

I don't know how a volunteer quits, but I just did.  There are better things ahead for me that are actually offering compensation for my work.  What a concept. 

No comments: