Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Question

I'm going through a phase of trying to *really* know myself -- for better and for worse.  Today I met with a friend.  She knows me pretty well and where I'm at mentally.  She asked me a seemingly simple question that I drew a complete blank on.  Here's how it came about.

My friend and I are part of a group.  My friend asked me what it was about the individual members of this group of ladies that I connect with and what they get from my participation. 

I was stumped for an answer.  I had never thought about that.

I could easily identify what I got from the other group members... comrade, fun, humor, socializing, etc.  However, I never for an instant ever gave thought as to what I gave them.  My default response was blank and that I don't offer anything of value. 

It was an in-my-face example of how my thought process is always based on exporting my energy and never expecting to make a lasting impression on anybody.  For some reason, I don't think I'm worthy of it. 


No comments: