Sunday, March 16, 2014

Dark Side of Motherhood

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....  I'm about to let you all in on a dirty secret about motherhood.  Society portrays us all as so happy, loving, giving, cherishing, nurturing, blah, blah, blah, blah.  We are ranked up there with Mother Mary awaiting sainthood.  We are shown smiling while our life force is literally being sucked out from us constantly giving. 

We reach a point where we are sick of giving.  The constant demands of, whining, feeding, clothing, need, need, need, need, need and we have not even left the house to begin our day yet.  We have not even dealt with the demands and expectations of spouse, family, employer, society, etc. 

A private conversation with a friend revealed that she just wanted her freedom back.  She's sick of parenting.  She is not an evil person.  She is not an abusive, neglectful mother.  After a while there is no separation between mother and kid(s).  Mothers get lost and individuality fades into blurred boundaries.  We don't know where we end and our family begins.  Unfortunately, my friend has many years ahead of her before her kids reach adulthood. 

While I totally sympathize with her, I'm silently glad I stopped at two and my youngest is moving into adulthood.  I'm still young enough to have an enjoyable, strong second half. 




No comments: