Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Fax

I had an interesting experience today with my daughter.  Not too long ago, when a good friend turned 50, my daughter was fascinated with the turntable that was brought out to play records.  She had never seen a real one before being a millennial.  Wow.  That really struck a chord with me.  Never seeing a record player before?  That was the center of my existence as a youngster. 

Today it was the fax machine.  My daughter is in the midst of a major life transition.  Being the anal-retentive-organized-financial-form-filler-outer that I am, I had her come to my office with her stacks of paper that needed to be dealt with.  Mom is an ace at organizing paperwork, information, and assorted financial tasks.  I do have a couple of  redeeming qualities.

One of the forms needed to be filled out and returned (or faxed) by the end of the week.  No email, just either snail mail or fax.  Fax????  Really????  My daughter wanted to know how to operate the fax machine.   I still keep that old relic around just for moments like today. 

For once I knew how to operate technology that she did not, albeit old technology.  Yes, a fax machine.  They still exist.  How quaint.  It's kind of like having a horse and buggy in the age of automobiles,. 

No comments: