Sunday, September 13, 2015

Pressure Cooker

My grandma had a pressure cooker and canner.  She cooked just about everything from vegetables, sauces, soups and broths, and even chickens.  I have an antique water bath canner that I inherited from Aunt Gertrude, but water bath canning is limited to high-acid foods.  If you use a water bath canner for low-acid foods you run the risk of "the botch."  Dying from food poisoning or accidentally killing somebody else is not in my nature, so I went out and bought a pressure cooker/canner -- which can be used for either high or low acid foods.  Here she be:
I fear not the pressure cooker.  Some people are absolutely terrified of them.  A pressure cooker/canner is the ultimate work horse kitchen power tool.  It's like any other power tool and following instructions for safety is a MUST or you can blow your face off.  This weekend I made another 40 pounds of pasta sauce -- some with pork sausage I got from a Sonoma County 4H kid and some without any meat.  My stove is a complete mess.  However, I have many happy customers who keep telling me I need to go into business. 

No comments: