Saturday, August 9, 2014

My Sister and the Death of an Old Flame

I was on the phone last night to my sister for about 2 hours.  She's got a heavy load and I do not envy her life.  On the outside it all looks so perfect and normal.  Growing up I was always envious of her.  She always had a following of beaus who were more than willing to jump through hoops for her. 

Anyway, she had this boyfriend in high school who was extremely good looking.  He loved my sister and I always thought they made a beautiful couple.  He was 1/2 Native American and together would have had the most gorgeous kids.  Life pulls people in different directions and they ended up parting ways but I *know* they always held a flame for each other. 

Time passes 35 years.  Old Flame looks up my sister on Facebook.  Time was not kind to Old Flame.  He did marry, but divorced.  He had a chronic disease that left him unable to walk.  However, he rode his "scooter" down to the corner bar everyday. 

My sister told me last night that Old Flame died on Thursday.  I can tell she's bothered.

In my possession I still have a bracelet that I wear to this day that Old Flame gave to my sister. 
There is also a song that reminds me of Old Flame from the days he courted my sister and we'd all drive down Central Avenue (me being annoying little sister in the back seat) and this song would come on the radio while Old Flame was chugging a beer and smoking a joint.  So much for parental supervision in the 1970's!!!!!  It's a great song, so scroll down, hit play....toke....and think of Old Flame. 

No comments: