Thursday, August 28, 2014

Invisible Me

One of the wonders of being born into a large family as an ignored female middle child is noticing  how we are *not* noticed.  We are invisible.  This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Growing up, weeks would go by and nobody would ever say my name.  Truth be told, I did not even know my real name when I went to kindergarden.  You think I'm kidding.  I am not.

All of this made me an astute observer.   I just learned to shut up and silently sit in the background.  It's amazing what people divulge voluntarily.  I don't have to do anything except just sit there and listen.  They are not even aware of my presence.  People have big mouths.  They have even bigger egos when it comes to social media.  They voluntarily post excruciatingly personal information and then get wigged out when it's used against them.

Being a nondescript, anonymous nothing has worked out incredibly well for me.  I'm so happy that "nothing" amounts to "something."

--Anonymous

No comments: