Saturday, August 23, 2014

Just Popping In: Please don't

I live in a fishbowl.  I have relatives who live up my ass and around the corner, knock three times and come on in. 

Seriously, I need to barricade myself in my own home with garage door shut and blinds closed.  If I don't, the nearby relatives take it as an invitation to walk in through the garage (unannounced) with others thinking that I will happily drop what I'm doing to converse with them. 

Today I was a mode of cleaning and had my rhythm going.  I had furniture polish in one hand, a dust rag in the other, my hair pulled back, and wearing my grubby cleaning clothing.  I was NOT in a mood to receive guests. 

Three knocks.  Before I could even answer the door swung open -- instant company coming into my kitchen -- thinking I'm sooooooooo happy they are rescuing me of my mundane chores to hear all about what's going on in THEIR lives. 

Not really.  I just wanted to be left alone to tackle messes that have been driving me crazy as I rarely have a Saturday to accomplish such tasks.  I made the mistake of leaving the garage door open and they took it as a cue that they could barge in unannounced. 

I did not let them get far beyond the doorway.  I did not offer for them any refreshments.  I did not offer for them to even sit down, which if  I *knew*  I would never rid of them.  Still, well over an hour passed as they chatted on mindlessly as I'm watching the clock as I had my "chore" work planned.  Gripping the furniture polish and dust rag the entire time did not deter them. 

Please don't pop in on people and STAY.  It's rude. I think I'm going to start cleaning the house stark naked.  I will stand there as if nothing was wrong not even running for a robe.  If they pop in on me and shriek in embarrassment perhaps they will wait for an invitation or at least call before hand.  


No comments: