Monday, March 23, 2020

Be STILL

The selfish part of me is really liking this social distancing.  For the first time in many, many moons I'm able to enjoy being at home without guilt nor social obligations and the stress that goes along with it (i.e., Christmas).  I've stated many times as well that I'll never be bored.  So many books to read.  So many flowers to tend to.  So many weeds to pull.  So many dog poopies to clean up.  However, I do miss my dance class.

Why people are so afraid of being still and looking within is beyond me.  Now I'm being bombarded with invitations to online social events.  Sorry, I like not having to adhere to a schedule.  I like not having somebody shove a cell phone in my face stating "Oh, you HAVE to see THIS."  [Insert dumb video or joke you've already been subject to 1,000 times already]

Side rant:  I *hate* it when people shove their cell phones in my face.  They think their pictures or videos or whatever should be the epitome of my existence.  I especially hate it when I'm in the kitchen trying to cook.  It's like looking at somebody else's vacation photos.  They think it's great.  I'm irritated.

Side Rant Part 2:  Stop clogging up beaches and parks that are not in your neighborhood.  If you have to drive there, you don't need to go there.  Shelter in YOUR place, not somebody else's.   Don't be selfish.  This is not an extended weekend for you to play nature tourist. 

Getting back on track now.

Be OK with being still, people.  Look within.  Meditate.  Read.  Cook.  Learn an instrument.  Sit on your front porch and talk to people as they walk by with their kids or dogs.  I bet you never realized John Doe, with whom you share a love of German Shepherds, lived three blocks behind you until you greeted him from the safe social distance of your front deck as he walked by.

All this social distancing can bring us together.  Ironic.  




No comments: