Friday, September 16, 2011

Scared Little Boys

I'm just beginning to understand how fragile the male ego really is.  A story that really hit me was one my dad told me about a peacock that lived in the barn when he was growing up.  The proud peacock got his tale yanked out when a cow stepped on it.  The poor peacock went in a corner of the barn and would not come out and starved himself to death -- he was that distressed about losing his feathers. 

That same sensitivity can be translated to human males.  They are more sensitive than females in a lot of ways.   Society does not allow them to show it, so it gets masked in all sorts of unhealthy behavior.  I know of many males who on the surface put on a show of how manly, strong, and self assured they are.  Just under the surface they are scared little boys longing for approval and attention.  They are terrified. 

I used to think that men were all pretty much selfish jerks, but now I'm begining to think that the more obnoxious the man the more insecure he really is. 

No comments: