Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lucky's Self Check-Out

I've bitched before on how I loathe the 'self check-out' registers. I avoid them like the plague. In general, I loathe shopping at any Lucky's store. Out of desperation, I pop into one from time to time to grab an essential item or two (like wine).

Of course management loves the self-checkout. Automated cash registers don't file workers' compensation claims, take long breaks, say anything inappropriate, or cause other personnel problems. Management aspires us ALL to be such well behaved robots.

On the other hand, all I want is a couple of items and to get the hell out of there -- PRONTO. Here was my experience last night at a Sonoma County Lucky store.

I needed a couple bottles of wine and a package of bagels. That's it. I should be in and out of there in moments. But noooooooooooo, robo hell made it an ordeal that made me wake up with night sweats.

It was dinner hour rush. Only *one* regular checkout line was open with an actual, live cashier. That line was hideously long, and I only had a couple of items. What ever happened to "three's a crowd?" I guess that went away like the DoDo bird. The other registers were the dreaded self-checkout ones. Of course, they were all occupied with customers clumsily trying to enter produce codes, scanning items, fumbling with payment, etc. It was horrible to watch.

I tapped my foot impatiently and waited for a register to open up.

FINALLY..... I got an open register. I only have a couple of items, this should be fast, right? After all, I'm techno savvy and I should be able to breeze in and out of here in moments, right?

WRONG!!!!

The computer wanted to know if I wanted to proceed in English or Spanish. Whatever. Ok, so then I go to scan my first item. It was a bottle of wine. The register froze up and sternly stated that I had a "restricted item -- approval needed" before I could proceed. Shit.

I looked around and found that the Lucky employee who was supposed to be overseeing the self check out area engaged in a conversation with a fellow employee about something that was obviously not work related and completely ignoring the customers. I was trying to get my item approved so I could get on my merry way. Attempt ignored.

I was getting pissed off. So was the guy an aisle over. Finally the guy one aisle over just yelled, "Hey! I need approval to buy my wine, and I think the lady over there needs the same judging by her failed attempts to get you to look over there."

Thank you, sir. You are my Prince Charming for the day.

The Lucky employee finally pressed whatever button that was needed to proceed with my transaction. Now I can scan the other couple of items and get out of there.

Not so fast. I bring my recyclable bags with me when I shop. When I placed my recyclable bag down in the bagging area, the computer angrily told me, "Unexpected item in bagging area. Please remove item."

WTF????? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Just HOW am I supposed to use my bags when the dumb ass computerized cashier thinks I'm trying to shoplift something?

Another frustrating attempt was needed to get the green light to proceed from the chatty, unattentive Lucky employees. My patience was wearing thin. I finally said, "Can I get this cleared so I can get my stuff and get out of here?"

A transaction that should have taken 30 seconds turned into an ordeal. When I was leaving I expressed my distaste for the self check out registers. The Lucky employee coolly told me, "Well, don't use them."

I won't. Because I refuse to ever step foot in your piece of shit store ever again. I don't care how desperate I am.

1 comment:

CG said...

I have the same experience, often. And they are increasingly bringing these machines into libraries too. I'm being replaced by a machine!