Friday, May 30, 2008

Today's Angel

Sometimes I wonder exactly where heaven and earth are divided. A lot of times I think combinations of bits and pieces of each co-exist on our level of earthly existence. Could it be that we serve as angels to others? Could it be that others serve as angels to us?

Today I went to get my haircut using a gift certificate I had acquired some time ago at a local fund raising event for a service at a local salon. The woman who cut my hair has a son who has learning issues. When I told her about my own personal experience with a child with learning differences, she actually got chills and a tear welled up in her eye.

I told her that I had some really good resources and books I could lend her to help her get her child on the right track. She looked at me in total disbelief that a "stranger" would be willing to go the extra mile to help her out. I was. Being a parent who has "been there, done that" any help I could give another mom was worth it to me.

After I left the salon, I went back to my office and found three books on my bookshelf and a list of phone numbers that specifically related to the problems this woman was facing with her child. I walked back over to the salon and handed them to her. She was thrilled to receive concise, detailed information that directly related to her situation. When I handed them over to her, she began to weep.

I told her the only thing I wanted in return was for her to pass along the books and information to another parent and/or child in need.

Just for today I had the privilege of being an angel for somebody.

1 comment:

CG said...

You have often been one for me.