Friday, May 9, 2008

Mexicans

I was brought up in a Midwestern, prejudiced household. I'm not passing any judgment about the way I was raised, I'm just saying like it was. Niggers, spics, chinks, towel-heads, jews, and the like were all pretty much lumped into one category -- they did not belong in lily-white-northern-European-Minnesota. Strangely enough, the Native Americans did not suffer the same degree of prejudice as the others. I wonder if it was because the whities stole their land.

I'm really ,really trying not to carry on any predisposed prejudices to my kids. Also, I'm really, really trying to understand the Mexican's side of the story rather than hold undeserved hostility towards them.

Maybe it's karma that my son is the only white boy in a class full of Mexicans. He has spent the better part of the semester asking sincere, heart-felt questions about their culture, and the Mexicans returning the curiosity with their own questions about the Gringo way of life. If you knew my son, you would know that his curiosity and questions are sincere, authentic, and based in dignity for all humans.

I think it would be great if both the Gringos and the Mexicans could get together in an honest, open exchange without blame or hostility. Rather, just ask sincere questions in a true attempt to understand. Here are my own questions for the Mexicans:

1. Why do illegal Mexicans here in the USA wave the Mexican flag when protesting? If they really want to be accepted into the USA as a citizen, why not wave the American flag?

2. The Mexicans are the first wave of immigrants that expects the US government to cater to their culture and language. Why?

Gringos are equally deserving of deeply examining their own culture. I know the Mexicans think that Gringos are too isolated from others in the family and in the community. They're right. We put up barriers around ourselves that are unhealthy and detrimental the the community and family.

Mexicans also feel the hostility at them by the Gringos. However, the Gringos depend on them for manual labor. Mexicans don't like being treated like shit. Again, the Mexicans are right.

Americans bitch about the illegal Mexicans, but yet in the same breath keep slipping them cash under the table to perform their shit work. Americans can't suck and blow at the same time. Americans either make the Mexicans part of legitimate society, or shut the fuck up and pay what labor is truly worth to fellow legal citizens.

2 comments:

Canary said...

I've heard it said that California hasn't changed much since the 1800's. They're still speaking Spanish and shooting people up in the streets. Unfortunately there is too much truth to that statement.

We've met up with a new class of immigrants, a class that doesn't want to assimilate into our culture but rather one that would seek to take over our culture. Some of them already receive more benefits than our own citizens.

I took the required "foreign language" class in high school - Spanish no less and I kick myself that I didn't keep it up. But back then, there wasn't anybody around to practice with. Well let's just say I was hard pressed to find anybody around who spoke the language and consequently I lost interest and forgot just about everything I had learned. Pity.

But what's your opinion? Should we be going to "night school" :-) Should we be impressing it on our kids to become bilingual? Both my kids are already grown and neither did well with Spanish in school.

My grandparents immigrated from Europe and were self taught in English once they arrived and my mother told me she never heard them speaking their native language in public or even at home except maybe in the bedroom in private. Why? Because they wanted to assimilate into the American culture. They didn't wave the flag of their homeland. They waved the American flag.

Granted this country's a melting pot but when you think about what it is that brings people together, it isn't culture, it isn't religion, it isn't race (because all those things can be overlooked) It's language. It doesn't matter to me what color a person is or what he believes. What matters is if I can communicate with him or not.

Suffice to say, you might enjoy this if you haven't come across it before.. Press One For English!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJfS1v-fU0

And my apologies to this site if posting links is not allowed. I am in no way affiliated with the above. Just that it echoes my sentiments.

The Quiet Rage said...

I believe that the reason immigrants come to the United States is that they want to benefit from the political and economic system we have here -- which was created by Anglos.

I don't expect to speak English when visiting a foreign country... it goes both ways.