Friday, May 16, 2008

Kids Sports and Politics

I shouldn't even get started on this, as I will ultimately get myself worked up into a tizzy and want to shove somebody's head through a wall. If you have kids who play sports, I'm sure you've come to see that the kids are great -- it's just their whiny, know-it-all parents who should be lined up and shot.

God help you if you've ever volunteered your time coaching. My hat is off to you folks. My hat is off to you if you're not one of those control-freak-asshole-the-win-is-everything-type, that is.

Here's why I would be banned from coaching. The dialog would go something like this:

Whiny Parent: How come Johnny isn't playing first base? That's his position, you know.

Quiet Rage Coach: Well, Johnny needs to work on some things. We're working with him at practice, and he's almost there, but not just yet.

Whiny Parent: Well, how come Jake gets to play first? My Johnny makes more plays than him.

Quiet Rage Coach: Let's cut to the chase. Johnny has missed more than half of the games and practices because of basketball, which tells me you really don't give a fuck about this team. At practice, Johnny is a mouthy little asshole who gives me nothing but attitude; whereas Jake is at every practice giving his all, and if Jake makes a couple of errors, so be it. And if YOU'RE so fucking knowlegable about everything, get off your bitchy, whiny ass, and YOU take a team next year -- and don't forget to take Johnny with you if you think he's so fucking wonderful. BUH-BYE.

5 comments:

Dianne said...

And the crowd roars!

Amen!!

My son played every sport for years and years. I would sit in the stands and be endlessly shocked at the assholes who are allowed to have children.

CG said...

You are both so right!!

chris said...

What about the parents that coach so that they may promote their child that may not be that talented. This is done alot in baseball. The funny things is that some of these parents are living through their kids and I doubt if some of the kids are even enjoying theirselves.

Mrs. Dianne T. Rutledge said...

I have been witness the Pony League in Vidor Texas. To the "leaders" (if you can call them that) who run this towns league, the "P" in PONY stands for politics. When the "leaders" of this leagues team lost 1st place, he took his pretty baseball and went to play somewhere else. Taking many of the best players from all the teams with him. Why would ANY parent want this idiot leading their kids? Well, I can answer that easily - they want to be in the "in" crowd and they think if they do this - their children will also be in the "in" crowd. He couldn't take being 2nd place to a first year coach. He had this planned from the beginning of the year. He has this idea that HE will be providing the school system with HIS players in 6 to 8 years. Unbeknown to him, he will burn out many of these children or they will get injured, due to his poor coaching practices. For those of us who do not believe POLITICS belong in a league that is here to "Protect Our Nations Youth" we are shunned and looked down upon. I say the entire "management" of this towns league needs to be removed - permanently from ANY leadership roles over children. They are not teaching what the league stands for! There are TRUE parents, who want their children to learn the life lessons baseball can teach. It's a shame that many parents cannot see what this "leader" is doing to our league. I wish there were a way to report his behavior to the proper people and make an example of his poor sportsmanship, so others will learn that the "P" truly stands for "PROTECTING" and not "POLITICIZING"!

Thank you for allowing me to vent. If anyone has any suggestions as to who I can report this "leader" to, I'm all ears!

Anonymous said...

As a parent it can be a fine line when to step in. I have witnessed coaches promote their own child at the expense of the team. I have seen selection panels choose kids because they are friends of the parents. I have seen coaches get a dislike to a child (sometimes its the shy ones they will attack) and denigrate them in front of the whole team. Of course parents are not always without blame but sometimes it takes great courage for a parent to step in and right the wrong.