Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sportsmanship

Yes, I blog about kids sports a lot. I suppose it's because I'm of "that age" in my life and that's what I'm dealing with. This is what I admire about sports. I find a lot of it spills over into other areas of life:

learning to win with grace
learning to lose with grace
the concept of fair play
dealing maturely with a bad call by the umpire
bringing out the best in all team mates, regardless of experience or talent
dealing with the disappointment of not making a play
dealing with the disappointment of a team mate not making a play
respect for those who volunteer their time to make it all happen
learning that tough competition is just that - tough competition
being part of something that more than just yourself

I think it's important kids learn how to be on a team -- the team doesn't have to be sport related. The situations present important lessons on human behavior. For instance, there will always be:

the bitchers
the whiners
the pushy ones
the lazy ones
the shit disturbers
.....and let Quiet Rage point out their obnoxious behavior....

No comments: