Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Home Party Sales Lady

There is a woman I know who invites me to at least one "home party" per month. Items being peddled range from food stuffs, cosmetics, clothing, jewelry, etc. She is a pleasant woman, but I would rather spend time with her when I don't feel obligated to bring along my checkbook, which has yet to happen.

I've just stopped responding to the invitations that require payment for my presence as I view them as just another annoying sales call. The Home Party Lady called me on my cell phone and left a message wanting to know if I was planning on coming to yet another one of her home sales parties. I was on the east coast at the time I received her message and up to my armpits in work matters. I didn't respond.

I don't mind attending a home sales party once in a while. I think we've all been suckered into hosting one at some point in our lives. However, there comes a time when I feel my friendship is being used. The Home Party Sales Lady has definately crossed that line.

6 comments:

Canary said...

Yeah, I hate those home party things. You're usually invited by a friend or semi-close acquaintance.. sometimes even by somebody at work. How do you say "No"? They often get credit for how many people attend so they plead with you to just come saying, "You don't have to buy anything".. but you feel pretty cheap and pretty stupid as everyone in the room is buying into this thing - whatever the product might be and you begin to feel that sense of obligation to your friend because after all, it was just explained what her prizes will be for each level of sales she makes at the party.

No, I'm just sick of it and anymore now if I'm invited, I just tell them up front, "I don't go to parties." Let's see.. my first one started with Tupperware, then Skin Care & Make-up (that one I got suckered into hosting as well), then Memory Books, then Toys (that one I hosted and one person came! Disaster!), then another Tupperware one - I must have been to at least a half dozen of those and c'mon! Does anyone really ever use the stuff???

I don't use a checkbook anymore and I don't carry cash. I wonder if these home parties are set up to take ATM. :-)

And besides, who has time anymore anyway? For those who haven't the time but still enjoy this type of obligatory round-up, we ought to consider something like Virtual Home Parties where we can "log in" at our leisure from the comfort of our own home and pay with PayPal. Of course then one might wonder, "Who would serve the refreshments?"

The Quiet Rage said...

Canary,
Glad you "flew in" to visit. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's sick of whipping out the checkbook for every little thing... Fundraisers are on my hit list as well.

The Quiet Rage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Quiet Rage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Canary said...

Fundraisers, ugh! The over priced chocolates, the spotty car washes, the subscriptions I'll never read. And how 'bout the "sponsor me for so much per mile" gig? Who actually tabulates those?

I loathe fundraisers as well. Can't they see I'm trying to stay off the impoverished list? Actually whoever thought tattered jeans would become vogue? :-)

CG said...

Thank goodness I don't get invited to many these days. You always feel OBLIGED to buy something. The worst was a sex toys party; one of the most hellish experiences of my life, but at least I didn't feel I had to buy anything!!