Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Game is Secondary

Today we hit a couple of Superbowl parties. The food was world class, the company lively, and the drinks were flowing. Money was flowing as well with bets and squares. Both parties we attended were outstanding. I think it's funny how a football game can capture the attention of an entire nation. Everything is planned around "the game."

I thought it ironic that more attention was payed to the food and company than to the game itself. This includes the guys as well as the gals. Yes, there were a few hard core football fans glued to the tv set oblivious to the social activity around them, but that was more the exception than the norm.

Let's face it. The Superbowl is just an excuse to throw a big, loud party. That's ok in my book, but let's call it for what it is. We should just call it "National Party Hard Day -- No Reason Needed."

Three years from now, I believe you won't remember who played in the Superbowl, but you'll remember the parties you attended and the good food and company. The game is secondary.

2 comments:

CG said...

We could do with a National Party Hard day ourselves!!

Anonymous said...

Ah....normally I agree with just about every single word you write here girl; but today I'm gonna argue one teeny little point - IF one actually watched that game yesterday? It was the first one in YEARS that a) I've even watched and b) brought me back to a better time when I was a fan and followed with enthusiasm the football at its best joys that were Joe, Dwight and Jerry in their prime. Joy went out of it a LONG time ago for me; but watching yesterday's game out of nothing more than an excuse to sit on the couch with hubby and share something - turned out to be an outstanding experience. Watching Eli and the Giants do something nobody thought could get done - well - so very many OTHER important things in the world I'll grant you?

But watching that - plus Tom Petty at the halftime? Was a nice little escape from reality :-)