Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Friends Forever

Do you remember writing "friends forever" in umpteen high school yearbooks back in 1985? I do, and I meant what I wrote.

I am the type of person that means what I say (and/or write). I have had the same core of friends since I was 5 years-old. We grew up together. We laughed, cried, fought over boys, partied, went prom dress shopping together, etc. We've helped each other through the thick and thin.

Now that we all are married and have families of our own, we still carve out time for each other. I am hosting a "wine country getaway" for the ol' high school gang next April. I'm so excited!!!

I am fortunate to have some really great friends. I've enlarged my circle of friends over the years, but I guess you could say that I'm extremely picky about the friendships I form. I'm drawn to genuine people, and I'm not into materialistic competition that is so pervasive in the relationships in our culture. That does not mean I don't have friends with money and material things. I do. However, it is not the focus of themselves -- many of them have done very well for themselves but are not obsessed with it. They don't confuse the stuff they happen to have for themselves. In other words, they are not their possessions.

So, if you think I don't like you it's probably because you're a materialistic, egocentric, arrogant asshole.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to comment on this? But I'm still on the floor laughing over your ending sentence and this is really a hard position to type from....

Keep on speaking truth to b.s. mon amie!

CG said...

I hope we will be friends forever!!