Tuesday, May 26, 2020

No More Office BS

The other thing that is really wonderful with everybody working from home and online meetings is that all the pre and post office meeting BS has been eliminated.  It's a lot harder to try to corner me just prior to a meeting to persuade my viewpoint on an issue.  Business meetings are just that - business meetings.  No, I'm not your friend and I don't care what you have planned for the weekend.  We have a business relationship.  Don't take that as me being uncaring and rude, I just know BOUNDARIES.

The problem today is that the boundaries are blurred between business and personal relationships.  We are expected to be 'friends' with people we would not have anything to do with outside of work.  We are expected to go do dinners, concerts, sporting events....(gag).  Throw in all this  idea we should all be working in an open room instantly accessible to each other at all times of the day (and night thanks to email and text) and no wonder we all want to open fire on each other.  Our spouses don't have the same accessibility to us that our workmates do.

Thank GOD for the virus allowing us to work from home.  OOOOOOOOPS.  I forgot to pay my PG&E.  That means I'm cut off.  No access to internet nor email.  You'll have to send me snail mail if it's that important.  Thank God for the virus so you don't show up unannounced on my doorstep.

The rant for today:  BOUNDARIES

Respect them. 

No comments: