Saturday, March 26, 2016

Late Bloomers

Both my kids are late bloomers.  It took my son a little more time than his peers to launch, but when he did it was a successful rocket launch.  Now in his late 20's he's set with a life path that he could not envision for himself a decade ago thanks to society beating the self-esteem right out of him because he did not mature at the same rate of his peers. 

Same with my daughter.  She was not the first of her peers for anything.  I was constantly reminding her not to compare herself to others as it's futile and will always leave her wanting.  I told both my kids many times, over and over again, that not everybody's life timeline lines up perfectly with the timeline of others.  Not everybody does things in the same sequence and at the same age.  The best analogy I could think of was to remind them that not all the fruit on the tree ripens on the same day.

That's where the similarities with my kids stop.  They are both late bloomers.  Other than that, they are opposite in every way imaginable.  My son is so different from his father that at one point my son questioned if his father was really his biological father.  Yes, he is the biological father -- sorry.  LOL.

Seriously, I had a premonition about 2-3 years ago that my kids would be living on opposite ends of the United States - my son in Washington, D.C., and my daughter in Hawaii.  At the time my son was living in Washington, D.C. and my daughter was going to go to school in Hawaii.  Then life happened.  My son was relocated to San Diego and my daughter's plan to go to Hawaii dissipated as she was not ready to live on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. 

I thought that perhaps my intuition was off on my feeling that they would be living on opposite ends of the US.  Well, as of today it's changed and my intuition is really in tune after all.  My son is looking again at Washington, D.C. for a career move, and my daughter is going to Hawaii to play D-1 sports. 

Both of them have unfinished business in Washington D.C., and also Hawaii.  Not all of the unfinished business is from this lifetime.  Me?  Thank goddesses for frequent flyer miles. 


No comments: