Saturday, March 26, 2016

Galileo's Thermometer

Check this out.  Little gifts keep coming out of nowhere that intrigue my inner science geek.  When I was a young girl I was fascinated with my older brother's chemistry set.  I used to be really good at science - then i was directed to home ec and office procedures.  Girls were not supposed to be interested in science.  I don't know what made them think typing, shorthand (does anybody even use that anymore?) the 10 key calculator, and the Burroughs word processor (yes, I'm dating myself - this was the dawn of the computer age) were more interesting.  Yes, we even learned how to greet your boss's (always male) clients and serve coffee. 

Ahhhhhhh, high school.  I still had the time of my life even if we were pegged into gender-specific education.  I would not trade the experience for anything.  I suppose I should give the education system credit being that women in the 1980's only recently gained the right to even vote some 50-60 years prior. 

Galileo.  I love your thermometer.  It's very mesmerizing...like watching a lava lamp.

No comments: