Saturday, February 13, 2016

Buffet Line Quandry

I generally loathe food served buffet style.  For starters, think of all the hands that touch the serving utensils.  It's like shaking hands with hundreds of people and then sitting down to eat.  I *know* not everybody is good at general hygiene.  Gross.    If saving time and money is the goal of the host and the food establishment, please serve it up 'family style' with communal bowls at each table.  It's a happy medium between full sit-down, personalized wait service and buffet style..... and at least reduces the number of hands touching the serving utensils.

Not long ago I was invited to a milestone birthday party for my friend's husband.  The restaurant venue had a private banquet room.   The dinner she arranged was served buffet style.  When it was time to eat I did not jump up to grab a plate.  I think it's poor manners.  My place in line was about 3/4 toward the back.  I was so busy chatting with the people in line next to me that I did not notice when I picked up a plate that just about all the food had already been taken and it did not appear the restaurant staff was in any hurry to replenish the chafing dishes. 

What do I do?  I did not want to ask my friend, "Hey, stop socializing with the other guests and get more food out here."  First off, I had no idea what she had contracted with the restaurant and even if replenishing the chafing dishes was even an option with costs let alone the kitchen staffing and capabilities.  I did not want to approach the wait staff, either.  I did not think it was my place as it was not my event. 

I did not want to take the last of the shrimp and look at the others in back of me and say, "Gee, I took the last one -- too bad -- none for you." 

I was in a no-win situation.  I was an invited guest at a private party.  Good guests NEVER complain or cause a fuss.  Ever.  I just took a piece of lettuce that was really meant as garnish for a  food bowl and quietly muttered to the person in back of me that I had a large, late lunch and was not really hungry....and went to sit back down.  I dared not dwell about the food shortage with other guests, as that would also be poor manners. 

Did I mention that I generally loathe buffets?  Oh, yeah... I guess I already mentioned that part.











No comments: