Monday, May 18, 2015

Ripping on my Homie Farmers

Yeah, I rip on city dwellers who think that if they have a few potted plants on a roof top that constitutes them as "farmers."  I rip on their sustainable-organic-gmo-free-bla-bla-bla-blow-me-fair-trade rhetoric.

Now, what's fair is fair.  My own family, who has been farming in the Midwest since the 1800's on HUGE plots of land that rival mini-nations, have their own issues I want to call them on.  For starters they HATE the government.  However, they receive millions of dollars in farm subsidies (at taxpayer expense -- ahem -- the government they claim to hate) to grow NOTHING on their land.  Oh, nooooooooooo.... if they were black and lived in the inner city that would be WELFARE.  But because they are Anglo-Saxon white, praise Jesus, and live in the country, it's just a smart business decision.  Who would turn away free money?

Apparantly nobody.  I'm about to write a check for my second quarter estimated taxes to both the federal and state governments.  It's getting harder and harder to do without wanting to scream into my  pillow.  I would love to collect $ for doing nothing.

There's a joke about Midwest millionaire farmers.  Do you know what 4X4 on their trucks means?  It means that they work 4 weeks in the spring and 4 weeks at harvest.  The rest of the time they are on Florida's Gulf Coast burning their  pale, iridescent skin.

No comments: