Thursday, May 7, 2015

Mea

I have an employee I'm on the verge of firing.  I've been grumbling about her for years, but now I'm at the point where I'm keeping a paper trail so her termination can't be twisted into something else.  I can't believe how lazy she is and it's getting worse.  My name for her is Mea, which stands for Minimum Effort Angela.  She does the bare minimum.  In fact, it's easier when she's NOT around as I end up redoing all of her work even when I instruct her otherwise.

I'm telling you all right now.  A business degree from Sacramento State University is worthless.  She graduated and can't even do routine office functions nor keep simple books without my constant harping on her.  I should not pick on Sac State.  It's probably her being lazy more than the school being worthless.  What Angela does excel at is trying to get others to do her work for her, even though she is not in a position to ask anybody for anything.  She bitches about everything and she is so lazy, her garbage is overflowing and she waits for somebody else to take it out.  When I give her a project, she looks at me like, "really....you're asking me to do THIS?" like it's beneath her and immediately starts calling around trying to sucker others into doing the real work for her.  I've told her repeatedly that I want HER to do it.  She is not listening. 

I've been generous with pay and time off.  Probably too generous.  When I had major surgery a couple years ago I told her I was depending on her to keep things rolling.  I was looking for her to take on a more leadership role in the organization.  Believe me.  We could really use it.  There is room for advancement, and our industry is so specialized it's not like we can put out a blanket ad for help.  Angela showed ZERO initiative.  I started getting phone calls on my cell because Angela was not returning them. 

Basic skills that will take you far:
1.  Basic understanding of accounting and knowing Quickbooks;
2.  Computer skills and applications:  Microsoft excel, word, access, etc.;
3.  Attention to detail and not thinking that filing/records organization is beneath you;
4.  Taxes, insurance, and government regulations relating to the industry;
5.  Act like you care even if you don't.
6.  Willingness to learn and expand.

I even offered for her to take courses at the SRJC to brush up on skills on my dime and time.  Nothing.  


No comments: