Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Freaking Out People at Parties

It was a busy weekend full of socializing and parties.  Being an introvert, being around a bunch of people tends to be an energy suck for me whereas others delight in it.  I don't like the feeling of being "on" and trying to navigate the land mines of social topics to bring up in general conversation with people you don't know all that well.  Well, I stepped on one.  The collateral damage was not too bad, but I stunned them nonetheless.  I did not mean to.

It was your typical holiday weekend gathering.  There was a small subgroup of us talking at the BBQ.  I knew only one other well, and the others not at all.  The topic went to eBay and online shopping.  Before I even thought about what I was saying, I blurted out how the guy in our small group discussion likes to collect Star Wars figures.   Three sets of eyes immediately turned to stare at me with, "How did you know that?"

I didn't.

No comments: