Tuesday, May 13, 2014

e-invitation

I'm all for saving trees and the environment, please do not get me wrong.  However, there is something creepy and tacky about the proliferation of e-vites going 'round these days.  Worse yet, using Facebook as the point of contact for your social calendar.

More and more, people are using email and social media to manage their guest lists.  Please stop.  For starters, I refuse to respond to electronic invitations by the means delivered.  I will personally phone you or initiate personal contact to let you know my reply.  Why?  Partly because I *hate* evites.  It's my own personal pet peeve, I guess.

The other thing is that I don't like the entire world viewing my response and the lame excuse I will give for blowing off your candle/pampered chef/tupperware party or First Communion for junior.  One more gripe.. if the event is worth celebrating and you really want me there, make the effort like you really want me there.  Clicking "send to all in address book" gives the impression of casting a huge fishing net out into cyberspace not really giving thoughtful consideration as to whom you actually invited.  It's all about getting as many people present so you can take pictures and post to social media how "successful" your bash was.

No, when I view your e-vite I don't want to see your entire guest list as to whom was invited along with their "My Aunt Mertyl has her 95th birthday and we won't be there.  Have a great time!  xxoo" replies.

It's nobody's business but of that between the person initiating the invite and the invitee.  Doesn't anybody else worry about the public disclosure of your social calendar?  Hellooooooooooooooo????  Anybody home????????????  I guess not. 

It's a free pass for those with devious intentions.  No pun(s) intended. 

No comments: