Friday, December 13, 2013

Parking Meter

Today I went to Walnut Creek for a meeting.  Parking around there is always at a premium, but at Christmas time it's even worse.  I found a side street spot!  Yipeeeeeeeeee.  Plenty of parking!  As I pulled into my spot and was fumbling in my wallet, a vehicle pulled up behind me.  It was a Hispanic young man wearing an Oakland Raiders sweatshirt. 

Feeling in a generous, holiday mood I fed his meter for him for the maximum 2 hour limit.  He gave me a strange look and tried to hand me money, but all I said was "Merry Christmas."  I did not want money.  What comes around goes around, right?  It's all about random acts of kindness, right? 

I attended my business function and returned to my car about 20 minutes after my meter expired.  Whew.  No ticket.  I noticed the same vehicle I gifted meter fares to.  It was still there.  I got in my car and started to return phone calls with my cell phone.  I do not think 5 minutes passed when the Walnut Creek parking enforcement crept up along the street issuing tickets to expired meters. 

Too bad.  The young man I tried to help out was issued a parking ticket.  He did not return to feed the parking meter I voluntarily fronted the money for as a random act of kindness. 

You can lead a horse to water........ but you can not make him drink.

No comments: