Saturday, December 21, 2013

Holiday Hostess

As one of my kids pointed out, "Mom, since when do you host ALL of the holidays?"

Good question.

As I type this I'm wondering that very same thing myself.  I guess I'm doing it this year because my son won't be here next year, as he will be overseas for quite some time and I have no idea when he will be home for Christmas again. 

I have fantasies of reciprocal hospitality where all I have to do is show up somewhere with a bottle of wine and a pie.  Reciprocal ANYTHING would be appreciated.  Better yet, I have fantasies of just ignoring Christmas altogether.   It's disheartening to have a bunch of people over, eat all of my food, mess up my house, and then leave exclaiming to have had such a wonderful time and then disappear until the following year. 

"But you're such a wonderful hostess and you have the perfect home to entertain in," they chirp.  "I don't have the room nor the cooking skills," they claim. 

Please host anyway.  We don't care if you living arrangements are small and we eat pizza.  It's a lot of work to host holidays.  Doing it year after year gets tiring and grating.  We need a break, too.  Hosting becomes expected of us as now this has become "tradition" perhaps without our intentions.  This is not a pity party, but be merciful to your hostess and at least reciprocate by hosting from time to time.  You'll have a new appreciation for what we go through.  

No comments: