Monday, July 1, 2013

Airport Entertainment

Just as I thought it nearly impossible to cram any more external stimulation into our overloaded brain circuitry, I've noticed a trend at airports.  Street musicians, complete with tip jar and $10 CD's spread out on display for purchase, are proliferating and becoming borderline annoying. 

I love music.  Please don't get me wrong.  Good music can move me to tears....so can bad music.  Unfortunately, that's what we're getting at the airport.  Gilbert's one-man-band of synthesized percussion, auto chords, and the like is worse than the MuZAK version of Stairway to Heaven. 

Adding to the anti-ambiance is that Gilbert uses amplifiers to increase the decibels to make certain we are aware of his presence.....

IMHO instruments should never be amplified.  Amplifiers steal the richness and authenticity of the music.  Believe me, if you're that good of a musician an amplifier is not necessary as a crowd will naturally gather around you.  The intrusive use of amplifiers just cheapens the effect. 

No comments: