Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Takers and Scammers

Hardening my heart has been a huge lesson as of late.  I had to.  It's disgusting how people will prey on your generosity and kind heart.

The latest lesson involves a youth athletic team.  There's one particular kid who is notorious for traveling with other families on their dime while the mom sits home crying poor mouth.  Long story short, this kid (and the mother) has now burned bridges with the entire team.  Nobody will take the kid because nobody wants to subsidize hotel, flights, meals, etc., all the while being responsible for a kid that isn't theirs.   Funny, but the mom has all the money in the world for:  booze, cigarettes, tattoos, the latest iPhone, going out to dinner, blah, blah, blah.......  interestingly enough, there is never any money to pay for her own kid's traveling expenses. 

Now there is a mad rush for fundraising by the team.  I'm opting out.  Why?  Because while some kids on the team are deserving of the efforts of fundraising, the Takers will be a beneficiary.  I don't expect anybody to pay for my kid, and I'm not paying for anybody else -- especially when the "poor mouth" is manufactured manipulation.   I'm also smart enough to know  the disbursements of the fundraising will turn ugly.  I can hear it now.  "Why did so-and-so get X amount?  They did not work as hard as I did."

I'm putting nothing in, but I'm not taking anything out.  I'm totally clean. 

No comments: