Sunday, October 11, 2009

Shocking My Kids by Going to Church

My 21 year-old son wanted to know where I had been when I returned this afternoon. I replied, "I went to the gym, to the grocery store, and then to church."

I could see my son's eyes widen in astonishment. His mouth was gaping open. The look on his face suggested that I returned home with a pink mohawk, nipple and belly piercings, and all-over-body tattoos.

"You....you....went to CHURCH?"

Yes, I really did go to church, and a CATHOLIC one at that," I replied.

I thought my son was going to fall on the floor and start doing the worm.

I am a very spiritual person, but I am not religious. I do not condemn Christianity, I do rather embrace it -- I also embrace other religions as well. It's just the stupid rules and conditions that people have put to Jesus's word that totally turns me off. A lot of it can be traced to when I began questioning things in Catechism when I was in second grade. The nuns hated me.

Anyway, I am getting off track as I why I actually set foot in a Catholic church today and the walls did not fall in. See, every October 11th I go to church to light candles in remembrance of loved ones who passed away. There are five close relatives of mine who all died during the month of October. I go and light candles and pray for them. Upon entering the church, my Catholic behaviours automatically return to me. I look for the Holy Water, make the sign of the cross, and genuflect at all the right places -- all without being conscious of what I am doing. No wonder Italians talk with their hands with all the hand gestures and genuflecting the Catholics do. It's almost like a mime show.

I found my way to the candles located on the left side of the alter near the base of the statue of Mary. I dutifully insert some money in for an offering. I look for and light five unlit candles in a row. I drop to my knees and make the sign of the cross (again). It's at that point the tears start uncontrollably rolling down my cheeks. Each year I tell my self I am NOT going to cry. Each year I do.

1 comment:

CG said...

How lovely. I can imagine B's shock, though!