Friday, April 29, 2016

The Accident

Today started out just like any other day.  I was enroute to my yoga class this morning when it happened.  They say that most accidents happen within 5 miles from home - and I believe that statistic to be true.

I was at a stop light third car back on a busy, well-known intersection.  The light turned green.  I proceeded.  All of a sudden the vehicle in front of me stopped because the car in front on HIM stopped suddenly to make an illegal left turn over a double-yellow to enter a convenience store.

BAM.  I did not have time to react.

I rear-ended the car in front of me who rear-ended the car in front of him.  Three car pileup.  I'm stunned as I have NEVER even had a speeding ticket.  The car in front, who was the one who decided to suddenly stop to make the illegal left turn, took a look at his bumper, and decided the damage was not worth reporting on HIS end and took off.  Great.  Now it's me and the guy in the middle of the three-car pile up.  I obviously rear-ended him so I know I'm low on the totem pole.   Rear-ending somebody means you GET it in the rear end.

Gods were gracious and the guy I hit was soooooooo nice.  My insurance company, Allstate, has been great.  I had a tow truck and a rental all ready for me as my car, MY CAR THAT I LOVE, now needs a nose job in the worst way and was leaking fluids.  It's not drivable.  I tried.

I think I blogged bitching about insurance.  Yes, that is true.  Yes, I have a high deductible but I'm still money ahead as my car has about $10,000 worth of damage.

Bottom line:  Cars are replaceable, people are not.




No comments: