Sunday, April 17, 2016

Wedding Season - Destination Weddings

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but isn't gift giving to be at the discretion of the giver and not the recipient?  Is it not crass for the recipient to even to expect gifts?  I guess not.  Creating your shopping wish list for others to complete is so rampant these days it's considered normal. 

What really floors me are the invitations I'm receiving for weddings, baby showers, and whatnot with pre-selected gifts they want me to purchase for them come from families with more money than I will ever see in my lifetime.  

Money does not buy class.  The more money they have the greedier they are. 

One "save-the-date" destination wedding invitation (delivered by email, of course) I received shows the couple's destination selection and says "What do I get if I travel to attend So and So's wedding?"

What????  What do I "GET" if I travel to the wedding???  Would you not think that the honor of watching two people declare their love for each other would be the main attraction?  What else is a wedding for?   Lists of activities and accomodations were included on this "save the date" preview of coming attractions as if potential customers (oops, I meant guests)  were just luke warm on the idea of traveling for 'just' a wedding that there would be plenty else to do otherwise.

It makes me wonder .... Why even invite people you're not absolutely certain want to travel long distances, pay travel expenses,  and give up precious vacation time to begin with?   Oh.....I know......the PRESENTS. 

Adding tackiness to greed was mention of the couple wanting guests to contribute to their dream of owning a recreational vehicle.  Forget blenders, towels, and silver - just fork over CASH. 

Wow.  If a couple is fortunate enough to have so much just starting out they have *no* business asking for anything.  However, I think I hit the nail on the head.  Business. 

No comments: