Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving: THANK and GIVE

Happy Thanksgiving.  I know I use this blog as free therapy to dump frustrations.  No, I'm really not this bitchy in real life.  If by chance I do have any actual readers, it's completely by your own volition.  

This last year has thrown me some curve balls.  You all know the old saying that life is what happens while making other plans.  However, life has thrown some very prescious people in my life curve balls that they could not hit.  Sickness, death, divorce, job loss, and tragic accidents seemed to have happened at an exponential rate this past year to some people who in my book did not deserve it.  We truly do underappreciate and take for granted our creature comforts of good health, full bellies, and a decent place to live.

Which brings me to today.  It was on Thanksgiving Day 1986 that I packed my car with my wordly possesions and $500 to make a new life for myself leaving Minnesota behind for California.  I could have easily been a statistic in so many ways.  It was such a gamble.  My mother was not even there when I pulled out of the driveway the day I left.

So many things could have gone wrong as a young girl leaving home but didn't.  The stars just happened to be in my favor and I did not end up as a truck stop hooker in Nevada. 

I ended up having a good life in California.  I'm thankful for the lucky breaks I got along the way to be able to raise two kids who had a solid base of unconditional love and stability and also knew they were loved and valued NO MATTER WHAT.  

We are all vulnerable souls.  Anything can happen at any time to any of us.  Compassion, compassion, compassion -- even for the assholes who irritate the living shit out of us.

No comments: