Friday, November 28, 2014

Black Friday: Sunny and Warm

Yesterday I texted my close friends to wish them a Happy Thanksgiving.  Granted, I have friends that cross every socio-economic background and then some.  Yes, I even have friends who fall into the "bored moms on prozac" definition.  

At the end of a long day cooking for a crowd (my labour of love) I paused at about 9:00 PM to text a few more friends I had not had a chance to connect with earlier.  One friend of mine told me that she left Thanksgiving dinner at her in-laws early to go out shopping with her daughter.  She texted me while she was standing in line at Target waiting for some tech product to come on the floor so she could be one of the first in this motley horde of people to grab it for a Christmas gift.  

Wait.  Let's see if I have this straight.  Leave a family function to stand in line to BUY something that somebody else had to bail on a family tradition because they were called into work on a holiday that is suppoosed to be about giving thanks for non-material things like family and friends to make the materialistic shopping transaction happen.  The irony.  

My friend has a soul that needs nourishment.  Seriously.  If standing in line at Target at 9:00 PM on Thanksgiving evening is something she CHOOSES to do, it is a sad state of her psychological state and inner compass.  

I REFUSE to participate in the white-trash world of shopping this weekend.....and I am white trash.  Only morons beat each other up for cheap junk made in China that will be thrown out and/or fogotten before the Christmas decorations come down.  

Granted, my inner compass and psychological state needs help, but standing in line anywhere to buy anything on Thanksgiving or the days immediately following is not my way of coping.  

Today was spent on the waterfront simply walking in the sunshine.  It was warm, sunny, and beautiful.  Thanks to global warming and climate change there is plenty more of that to come;)




No comments: